Statutory Instrument (SI) No.17 of 2010 requires every student to contribute UG shs. 20,000/= (Twenty thousand only) per year to the funds of the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE).
During the budget reading of June 2017, the Minister of Finance, Planning & Economic Development directed that all other non -tax revenues (ONTR) for all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) be collected through the URA Web Portal. It is against this background that NCHE informs all students of Higher Education institutions to pay this fee directly to Uganda Revenue Authority following these steps:
Go to the URA Web Portal at https://www.ura.go.ug/
Once the portal opens
- Click on E-Services
- Click on Payment Registration
- Under Tax Head Section – Click on Other NTR
- Under tax payers Details section – Enter tax payers name and institution e.g Mr. Geoffrey Mukungu – Makerere University. Fill all places with Red asterisk by selecting from the drop down list. Just click on “select” and the list will pop up. Remember when filling geographical locations, fill horizontally e.g District/City ———————- County/ Municipality
- Under section of Details of other NTR Payments – Click on “Select” and a list of institutions to whom payment is being made will pop up.
- Select National Council for Higher Education from the list
- Select fees description from drop down i.e Annual contribution of a student to NCHE
- ID Proof – select from drop down list. A student who has none of those shown in the drop down can choose “other identity” and indicate their registration number in the box at the extreme right.
- Enter given text in the box (Note that it is case sensitive. So enter correctly)
- Once that is done, click on Accept and Register
- Your payment registration slip will appear. Print and use it to pay your fees to any of the branches of the following collecting banks:
- Absa Bank
- Bank of Africa
- Bank of Baroda
- Bank of India
- Commercial Bank of Uganda
- Cairo International Bank
- Citi Bank
- DFCU Bank
- Diamond Trust Bank
- Eco Bank
A student will have to present their payment proof to the relevant authorities at the institution (Academic Registrar or Bursar) in order to be allowed to register.
Please note that the Payment Registration Slip remains valid for only eighteen days from the date of generation. After this period, one will have to generate another payment slip.